The remarkable Victoria Jubilee Museum is situated in Vijayawada City on the Bandar Road. It is one of the most eminent examples of Indo European architectural style and was built in ashlars masonry. Robert Sewell laid the first foundation stone of this building on June 27th 1887, and he was the District Collector of that time. This special date was chosen to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations. This building’s chief purpose was to house the industrial exhibition. It later came under the authority of Zilla Parishad of Krishna and Zamindaras of Nuzivid, District Board, Krishna. The Government of Andhra Pradesh, in the year 1962, decided to take over this building and formally institute an Archaeological Museum.
The All India Congress Committee held a meeting here during 1921, when the tri-color flag was handed over by Sri Pingali Venkayya to Mahatama Gandhi before eminent National leaders such as Vallabhai Patel, Babu Rajendra Prasad, Motilal Nehru, Tanguturi Prakasham Pantulu, Lala Lajapati Roy and Jawaharlal Nehru. It was the great Mahatama Gandhi who had added the symbol of chakra (wheel) on the flag and later declared it as the Indian Notational Congress Flag. Later on 22nd July, 1947, it was declared as the National Indian Flag by the Constituent Assembly of India.
As for the galleries in Museum consists of Pre Proto Historic Gallery, Madaonna Della Codellino, Bidri Ware, Coins, Painting Terra Cottas, Portrait wall, Mother Mary Adoring Christ, Rubens Self Portrait, Annexure Gallery, Origin of arms and armour, quivers, arrows and bows, Daggers, Sculpture Garden. Body armour, Enamel Ware, and many more on the list.
Pay With Confidence